Toronto, ON, Canada
About the Company:
Jay Dee is an internationally recognized construction firm. Since 1965, we have built a reputation for quality and safety while building a strong culture of performance and integrity. With expertise in the successful completion of challenging underground tunneling projects, Jay Dee continues to seek specialty projects of various sizes, scopes, and complexity to add to its impressive portfolio. Jay Dee is looking to add a Surveyor to the construction team at the Coxwell Bypass Tunnel Project in Toronto, ON.
The Surveyor reports to the Survey Manager and is responsible for daily on-site construction surveying tasks, performing quality assurance and quality control checks, and providing frequent updates regarding surveying activities. The Surveyor must be a flexible and adaptable team-player with the ability to work outside in all weather conditions and in confined space environments.
The position holds a wide variety of responsibilities that include, but are not limited to:
- Determine precise locations using classic methods such as Total stations and electronic measuring equipment (digital level), and Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNNS).
- Record all measurements and other information obtained during survey activities and keep track of construction progress.
- Prepare and compile all data, plans, charts, records and documents related to surveys.
- Perform periodical equipment maintenance and calibration status.
- Work with different layout methods such as single points, reference line, alignments and offsets.
- Perform all measurements needed to provide guidance to the TBM, consisting of sets of angles and levelling.
- Communicate effectively with Survey Manager, field Supervisor, Foreman and field crew.
- Follow, create and participate on the safety procedures stablished by the project and company policies.
- Maintain stock of consumables such us spray paint, bolts, nails, stakes, and tools.
Why Work for Jay Dee Canada:
This is an ideal position for an individual who enjoys a fast-paced and dynamic environment. The Company is family owned, focused on continued career development and training, and offers a team-based work environment.
Desired Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- Associates Degree in Surveying Technology or related field; or 4 years of tunnel surveying experience with a minimum of a High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum 2 years of Heavy Civil Construction surveying experience.
- AutoCAD, Leica, and Total Station experience preferred.
- Ability to calculate shapes (geometric, etc.), read drawings and specifications, and extract detailed surveying related information.
- Ability to successfully survey in an ever-changing environment including different phases of construction.
- Proficient computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships in a cross functional team environment.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. several times a day.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and in confined space environments.
- Driver’s license.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk and is occasionally required to balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this classification. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.
Jay Dee Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer.