Livonia, MI, United States
The Field Engineer/Estimator reports directly to the Chief Estimator and will be responsible for reviewing bid requirements, securing subcontractor and vendor pricing, and preparing estimates for hard rock, soft ground tunnels, cast-in-place structures, micro-tunneling, and sewer and water projects. Approximately 15-20% travel is required to attend pre-bid meetings and support active projects. This is an ideal position for an experienced Field Engineer looking to transition into an office based Estimating position.
The position holds a wide variety of responsibilities that include, but are not limited to:
- Review bid requirements for projects ranging from $30 million to $750 million ensuring all aspects of the project are documented and accounted for
- Prepare takeoffs and secure subcontractor and vendor pricing.
- Identify, manage, and maintain relationships with subcontractors and vendors, ensuring bids are completed accurately and timely.
- Facilitate the transition of bid documents and subcontractor and vendor buyout information to the Project Manager.
- Review drawings with the Project team and highlight any areas of concern.
- Track and analyze project budget vs. actual costs.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with current and future clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
Why Work for Jay Dee Contractors:
This is an ideal position for an individual who enjoys a fast-paced and dynamic environment and does not hesitate to roll up their sleeves and get things done. The Company offers a team-based work environment with ample opportunity to grow and take on additional responsibilities. A comprehensive benefits package is offered including 100% employer paid medical and dental coverage for employees and their eligible dependents, generous 401K matching, short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance coverage.
Desired Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Construction, or Mining Engineering, Construction Management, or related field; or eight years of equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3-5 years of field engineering experience on heavy civil construction projects. Self-perform concrete experience is preferred.
- Experience and proficiency with AutoCAD.
- Ability to take direction, read, and understand plans and specifications.
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and ability to follow through and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of construction and scheduling techniques, P6 scheduling proficiency is a plus.
- Proficient computer skills. HCSS Heavy Bid/Heavy Job experience is a plus.
- Ability to communicate professionally in both verbal and written format.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with shifting priorities. Self-motivated, flexible and responsive.
- Demonstrated successful ability to build positive partnerships and work collaboratively with Project Team, Owner, and Subcontractors. Strong sense of customer service and follow through.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, analyzing data and developing resourceful solutions.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to climb a ladder, climb stairs, enter confined spaces, stand and walk and is occasionally required to balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this classification. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, pregnancy, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.