LOCATION: United States
Responsible for identifying hazards in the workplace and implementing workplace processes and procedures to help protect workers from these hazardous work conditions. Perform accident/incident investigations, inspect and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and practices for compliance with Jay Dee Contractors Safety program and state and federal health and safety standards and regulations. The Safety Representative must be a flexible and adaptable team player, as well as have strong communication and client service skills.
This is a great opportunity for an Occupational Health and Safety and/or Safety Management graduate to gain hands on experience in the field of construction safety. You will become familiar with project and corporate safety management, learn many industry standards in procedures and documentation, and learn the language of the trade. If you are looking for a career in construction safety, this is a great opportunity to start in one of the most specialized areas of construction – underground tunneling.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct safety training on various topics including the proper use of PPE and other safety equipment.
• Develop training materials for and facilitate project specific safety orientations and tool box talks.
• Coordinate drug testing and pre-employment physicals.
• Conduct frequent jobsite walks and inspections.
• Monitor PPE supplies to ensure an adequate supply is always on hand to meet project needs.
• Review, evaluate, and analyze work environments to control, eliminate, and prevent injury caused by chemical, physical or ergonomic factors.
• Monitor ventilation, exhaust equipment, lighting, and other conditions that could affect employee health, comfort, or performance.
• Maintain all necessary safety logs, i.e.; gas testing, air velocity, and other required tests.
• Develop and maintain all required hygiene programs such as noise surveys and ventilation surveys.
• Perform accident/incident investigations to identify causes and determine how such accidents may be prevented in the future.
• Continuing education in industry and safety regulations
• Additional responsibilities as directed by the Corporate Safety Director.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, or related field.
• 0-5 years of experience in heavy civil construction is preferred.
• Flexibility to travel and/or relocate to support project needs.
• OSHA 30 Hour certification and current first aid/CPR/AED certifications are a plus.
• Proficient computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, and Internet Explorer.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and organizational skills.
• Strong critical thinking, decision making/problem solving skills.
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, or age. Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an at will employer. EOE/AA Employer D/V/M/F.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this classification. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.